Inside the Loop

Perspectives on food, travel & the miscellaneous

March 10, 2007

24 Hours in Boston

This week's travels brought me to Boston for about 24 hours. A quick trip with not enough time to do everything that I want. An exhibit at the MFA closes this weekend, and alas, I did not make it.

I did, however, manage to have two great meals.

Little did I know that "restaurant week" was happening in Boston until I opened the menu at Sel de la Terre, a restaurant across from the Aquarium. In February I lunched at SDLT & knew that dinner needed to happen the next time I was in town. Not to disappoint, the food was excellent. To quote the menu, I ordered braised boneless beef shortribs with celery root whipped potatoes, roasted Provençal vegetables and crispy onions (sorry non-meat eaters) as the entree, and for a starter, a roasted tomato soup with a crab fritter.

The next day I needed a place to go for lunch. I found Rachel's Kitchen on a Chowhound board. By the way, Chowhound is addictive and has never let me down. Just look up a city and BAM! lots of recommendations. So, Rachel's Kitchen (RK) is this tiny cafe on a corner in the Bay Village area of Boston. It is a quiet neighborhood just off some busy streets. The owners of RK actually work there (wow) and cook the food (wow squared) in a kitchen thats about the size of a bread box (kidding, sort of). Breakfast (all day) & lunch are served. Highly recommend the quiche du jour & salad. The chai latte could rank up there with my all time favorite from Teaism in Washington DC (see the post from December 2006). One item that I want to try next time is the brioche with Nutella. Free wi-fi & local music completes the friendly atmosphere. In the future when I own my own restaurant, I would definitely model it after RK's.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what exhibit was at the MFA? I was watching Definetly Downtown last night on TV(don't ask), and your bud Jose was being interviewed about Encore, along with Colleen...he is so fraaaaanch.


I tried something new at Old Venice last night(Friday)--the Boudreaux sammich, and their version of the Bellini. tres delish. There, that is my Andrea version of a food recommendation.
-your sister.

3/10/2007 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home